Gsk corporate fact Sheet
GSK Consumer Healthcare India Fact Sheet
GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Ltd., India (GSK CH) is a leading fast moving consumer healthcare company and operates across categories like Nutrition & Gastrointestinal Health, Oral Healthcare, Pain and Respiratory categories. We remain the market leader in nutrition with a 59.1% value share (MAT December, 2015). The wellness portfolio is fast growing and commands market leadership in antacids and analgesics tablets. GSK CH entered the Oral Healthcare category in 2011 and has already attained leadership position in the sensitivity toothpaste segment.
Consumer Healthcare Heritage and Commercial Presence in India
- GSK CH is into its 57th year of operations
- GSK CH is a legal entity listed with the Bombay Stock Exchange and National Stock Exchange with a reported turnover of 41,36,44 lacs for 2014-15 (12 month Period, as per the latest Annual Report for the year ended March 31, 2015)
- GSK Plc. with its affiliates holds a share of 72.5% in GSK Consumer Healthcare India; the balance is spread between FII; FI’s, Mutual Finds Domestic Companies and Individual Indian shareholders
- The company’s Board consists of prominent people with half of them being Independent Directors
- Pain & Respiratory and Oral Healthcare business for India is done through GSK Asia Pvt Ltd, a separate 100% GSK Plc. owned entity in India and through GSKCPL
- GSK CH has more than 3789 employees. Our employee base includes professionals from different backgrounds including scientists, engineers, MBAs, post graduates and graduates.
Nutritionals and GI
- Horlicks is the leading nutrition brand, with more than 150 year old a heritage
- Recently Horlicks has been launched in Kesar Badam flavour
- Horlicks and Boost are among the top three HFD brands in the country (since April 2015)
- Horlicks is made with Food Science combining the natural goodness of Wheat, Barley and Milk with 23 vital nutrients that is designed to be easy to digest. Horlicks is clinically proven to make children Taller, Stronger and Sharper.
- GSK HFD reaches 47 million household in India which is approximate 200 million consumers
- Horlicks operates with multiple brand extensions including Horlicks Gold, Junior Horlicks, Women’s Horlicks, Lite Horlicks, Mother’s Horlicks and Horlicks Promind
- Other Brands in the nutritionals portfolio include Boost, Viva and Maltova
- Horlicks also has extensions into the packaged foods category predominantly with Oats and Biscuits
- Ostocalcium is a calcium, phosphorus and Vitamin D formulation for maintaining strong and healthy bones
- It is available as a chewable tablet for women between 30- 45 years of age and as a suspension for children between 1 to 10 years of age
- Eno a 100 year old global brand was launched in India as a medicine to relieve the sensation of mild to moderate acidity
- Ever since, the brand has innovated and launched various flavours to bring forth the equity and provide fast relief to acidity occasions
- Eno leads the antacids category
- In 2013 brand recently forayed into new formats and launched Refreshing Gel and Tab for the South and East regions
- Local Flavours – Mausambi, Nimbu Shikanji, Cola
Pain and Respiratory
- Launched in 1977 in India, Crocin has been a trusted household healthcare name for over three decades and enjoys a strong medical heritage
- It is India’s largest selling analgesic brand with a wide range of variants in both solid and liquid format
- A heritage brand in India since 1919, Iodex continues to be amongst the most trusted brands in India
- Since its inception, it has become a household brand
- Iodex is available in 2 formats, Ayurvedic balm and a modern high-science Diclofenac based gel, UltraGel
- It is clinically proven to be 90% faster than any leading gel. Provides effective relief from pain
- Iodex UltraGel contains Diclofenac, World’s No.1 doctor prescribed topical ingredient for pain relief. Diclofenac acts to reduce inflammatory prostaglandins at the site of pain
- Otrivin is the World’s No.1 nasal decongestant and provides immediate and long-lasting relief from blocked nose
- Otrivin was Introduced in Indian market in the year 1979 as a prescription drug, later became an OTC product
- It is proven to provide Seven times faster relief
- Voltaren is World’s No.1 topical body pain reliever* and has a unique Emulgel® formulation that provides instant relief from body pain, speeding up recovery and helps consumers get back to their daily routine
Sensodyne: Sensodyne® toothpaste is a dentist recommended toothpaste for sensitivity, offering a range of specifically formulated toothpastes
- Launched in 2011, Sensodyne has become a leading player in the sensitive toothpaste in just over 2 years of its launch
- The product is specially formulated to meet the taste and flavour preferences of Indian consumers
- Sensodyne toothbrushes: Specially designed for people with sensitive teeth. The soft end rounded bristles are gentle on sensitive teeth and the dome-shaped head is tender on gums
- It is a calcium, phosphorus and Vitamin D formulation for maintaining strong and healthy bones.
- Available as a chewable tablet for women between 30- 45 years of age and as a suspension for children between 1 to 10 years of age
- Sandocal is one of the leading brands in calcium supplementation category in India. It has a combination of Calcium carbonate & vitamin D3, which provides high availability of elemental calcium, optimum absorption & also has high compliance
- It is an INR 11 Cr brand and has only one SKU for expecting mothers and women in menopause
- T-minic is a Paediatric Cold specialist and is not only one of the safest products for kids. It is also efficacious with an onset of action in 15 minutes
- The brand uses expert driven communication to reach out to consumers
- GSK CH has a network of 3 owned and 18 subcontracted manufacturing sites
- GSK CH’s distribution network consists of 26 warehousing locations across the country supplying to over 700 distributors and directly covering over 3.3 million retail outlets, covered by a sales network of 13,000 rural sub distributors
- Focus on talent development & creation of Global Talent Pipeline
- Value driven people processes
- Campus and lateral hires and best in class retention
- Diversity of experience and global work culture
- Best working environment – Productivity and creativity thrives in this culture
- World class aligned performance driven organisation
- Workday, a global HR Information Management System to create acceptability and awareness among the employees various initiatives
CSR and Cause related Marketing
- Our CSR focus - Our People, Health for All, Our Planet, Our Behaviour
- Focus on health, education, women and child development.
- Special focus on improving condition of the girl child
- Supporting natural calamities
Cause Related Marketing
GSK CH believes in the 'Spirit of Partnership', and is strongly committed in helping the community that it operates in. We have focused on relevant issues across locations such as health, education, women and child development, with a special focus on the upliftment of the girl child.
Malnutrition is the biggest social malaise in India. According to UNICEF, every year 1 million children under five die due to malnutrition related causes in India. Access to nutrition propels a virtuous cycle of inclusive development, with better health, access to education, higher productivity and economic security. Horlicks is one of the most trusted brands in India, and with a 150+ years of heritage as a ‘gold standard’ of nutrition. It was thus appropriate for Horlicks to associate with this cause and raise awareness across mothers, families and communities about this issue of malnutrition among children
Horlicks Ahaar Abhiyan is a unique initiative that was aimed at increasing awareness in mothers, families and communities about the issue of malnutrition among children in the age group of 3-6 years. As part of this project, Horlicks had partnered with its Horlicks consumers to raise funds for spreading awareness, training health workers and support the community in eradicating this malaise. With the sale of every bottle of Horlicks (of MRP greater than Rs. 100), the company contributed Re. 1 towards the initiative. These funds were deployed by CARE India and Save The Children in WB and TN respectively in specific projects. On digital, we started the Horlicks Ahaar Abhiyan Pledge-meter; where we urged people to pledge for the cause & GSK CH donated Re 1 for every pledge.
PULSE- Global Employee Volunteering Programme
PULSE is a unique global programme enables employees to engage with people in their community and share knowledge. Through PULSE, motivated employees are matched to a non-profit organization for three or six months full-time, contributing their skills to solve healthcare challenges at home and abroad. Since its launch in 2009, this initiative has empowered employees from almost 50 countries to serve as PULSE volunteers, further helping high-performing employees to share their skills and talent with people outside their offices. The volunteers have worked or are working with about 90 PULSE Partners, which are non-profit organizations, with a clear objective of creating positive and sustainable change to the communities.
Research & Development
GSK CH has a captive and dedicated Research & Development (R&D) facility for India operation. Recently, there have been new product launches such as Horlicks Restage, Horlicks Promind and Horlicks Kesar Badaam. R&D function has been adopting innovative techniques like Open Innovation to build a strong pipeline of products for the coming years The Packaging Innovation projects have also helped the company enhance its presence at the 'first moment of truth'. R&D’s efforts in packaging were recognized externally in form of the Gold trophy at the Plasticon Awards in the category, 'Conservation of Energy, Material and Ecology'.
Driving Access to low cost Nutrition
A low 29.7% urban population, an increasing rate of urbanization (>40% by 2025), and rising demand for previously lower penetrated categories from small town and rural India makes ‘Building access for new emerging class consumers’ a key element of the consumer healthcare India’s Winning Formula.
GSK CH started the access agenda about 4 years back and increased its rural footprint to over 20,000 villages. The company has launched more stores programmed to increase its urban coverage and establish new GTM for urban emerging consumer class. The emerging consumer class packs continues to be the growth driver, led by HFD LUPs, through aggressive drives carried out for ready-to-dispense packs. Our Village Level Entrepreneur program, which also provides livelihood to under privileged women while enhancing access of our products directly to homes in small villages, was expanded to reach over 1000 villages of Bihar, West Bengal and Tamil Nadu.
‘Horlicks Swasthya Abhiyaan (Mission Health)’ is a unique initiative being run in rural India. This initiative aimed at raising awareness of nutrition and hygiene by running activation programs at village schools, aanganwadi centres and through educating the rural medical practitioners.
Recent Awards and Recognitions
- Horlicks ranked #6 Most Trusted Brand (Brand Equity, Economic Times)
- Horlicks has won the Silver Pentaward for the ‘Chevron graphics’ on the ENO jar of its base variant.
- GSK-CH featured in Forbes’ “Super 50” companies
- BrandZ: Horlicks ranked at 24 conducted by Millward Brown for WPP
- The brand has consistently been one of the 100 Most Trusted Brand (The Economic Times) four years in a row (2011- 15)
- Horlicks made it to the Hot 50 brands at the Delhi-NCR Hot 502015
- Horlicks, Eno and Crocin ranked in Top 5 within their categories amongst India’s Buzziest Brands
- Chocolate Horlicks and Crocin won Media Abbys at Goafest 2015
- Horlicks Ahaar Abhiyan won the Best Pro Bono Marketing at Goafest 2015
- Horlicks awarded for excellence in newspaper advertising at INK Awards by Dainik Bhaskar
- GSK CH recognised as Star MNC by Business Standard Annual Awards 2014
- Zubair Ahmed ranked at No. 3 in Mid-Sized Companies category, Business Today-PWC India Listing of India’s Top 100 CEOs
- R Subramanian won Best CFO of an MNC Large Category at Business Today-YES Bank Best CFO Awards
- Product Innovation: Launch of Horlicks new Kesar Badam flavour
- Horlicks Restage: 150 year brand goes instant with a communication to encourage daily consumption; new chevron design. Horlicks is now instant with better mix ability
- Sensodyne: Waking Up To Sensitivity (WUTS) : Launch of an awareness building programmethrough innovative consumer engagement
- Sensodyne adjudged best brand and therefore was announced as no.1 dentist recommended brand for sensitive teeth
- Horlicks Ahaar Abhiyan reached more than half a million to support the cause of malnutrition
- Horlicks voted as most trusted hot beverage by Brand Equity Most Trusted Brands Survey 2014
- Crocin and Horlicks voted amongst 100 Most Valuable Brands of 2014 by World Consulting & Research Corporation
- Horlicks, Crocin and Iodex conferred “Master Brand” status by Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) Council and CMO Asia
- Horlicks received Hot 50 Award at Hindustan Times Delhi NCR Brand Summit
- Design for Sensodyne Pillar received POPAI Gold Award 2014 in the Modern Trade-Health Care – Permanent Category
- Eno voted amongst top 2 brands at the afaqs! Buzziest Brands of the Year poll
------ Updated February 2016------
GSK Consumer Private Limited
- GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Pvt Ltd,(GSKCPL) a new corporate entity has been created as an affiliate of the UK JV Co, a global joint venture between GlaxoSmithKline plc (“GSK plc”) and Novartis AG(“Novartis AG”). Novartis India Ltd and Novartis Healthcare Pvt Ltd, which is majority owned and controlled by Novartis AG, transferring its OTC division (both commercial & R&D) to this new corporate entity viz. GSKCPL
- Legacy GSK Consumer business in India (GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Ltd.) is not a part of this Joint Venture