Gsk corporate fact Sheet
GSK Consumer Healthcare India Fact Sheet
GSK Consumer Healthcare Ltd, India is a leading fast-moving consumer healthcare company operating in categories of Nutrition & Gastrointestinal Health, Oral Healthcare, Pain and Respiratory. We are the market leaders in the nutrition segment with a 66.1% volume share (MAT June 2019).
Our Global Legacy
- We are a science-led global healthcare company
- We have three world-leading businesses that research, develop and manufacture innovative pharmaceutical, vaccine and consumer healthcare products
- We are committed to widening access to our products, so more people can benefit, no matter where they live in the world or what they can afford to pay
- Our sustainable business provides health benefits to patients and consumers, improved shareholder returns and supports wider society via tax, employment and charitable giving
- For the last 300 years we have helped transform the health, lives and futures of billions of people around the world
- We have a heritage that goes back more than 160 years, producing some of the world’s best-loved healthcare brands including: Sensodyne, Theraflu, Paradontax, Panadol, Polident and Otrivin
Our operations in India
- We started operations in 1958
- In India, we operate in the space of GI, OHC & PRC with iconic products like Sensodyne Repair and Protect, Sensodyne Whitening, Horlicks, Boost, Eno and Crocin
- The listed entity GSK Consumer Healthcare is the category leader in Indian health food drinks industry with Horlicks and Boost.
- Pain & Respiratory and Oral Healthcare business for India is done through GSK Asia Pvt Ltd, a separate 100% GSK Plc. owned entity in India and through GSKCPL
- We have 3 owned and 23 subcontracted manufacturingsites in the country
- Distribution network consists of 25 warehousing locations supplying to over 850 distributors and directly covering over 3.3 million retail outlets, covered by a sales network of 13,000 rural sub distributors
- The company has a captive and dedicated Research & Development (R&D) facility in Hyderabad and Gurgaon
- The legal entity is listed with the Bombay Stock Exchange and National Stock Exchange with a reported turnover of INR. 42,08,56 lacs for 2016-17
Novartis JV - GSK Consumer Private Limited: GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Pvt Ltd, (GSKCPL) a new corporate entity is created as an affiliate of the UK JV Co that is a global joint venture between GlaxoSmithKline plc (“GSK plc”) and Novartis AG (“Novartis AG”). Novartis India Ltd and Novartis Healthcare Pvt Ltd, which is majority owned and controlled by Novartis AG has transferred its OTC division (both commercial & R&D) to this new corporate entity GSKCPL
Hindustan Unilever Limited Merger- GSK Consumer Private Limited: GlaxoSmithKline plc (LSE/NYSE: GSK) announced the divestment of Horlicks and other consumer healthcare nutrition brands to Unilever plc (“Unilever”) and the merger of GSK Consumer Healthcare Limited (“GSK India”) with Hindustan Unilever Limited (“HUL”). GSK will continue to invest in growth opportunities for its OTC and Oral Health brands there, which include Crocin, Eno and Sensodyne. Following completion of the transaction, HUL will distribute GSK’s OTC and Oral Health brands, that are currently distributed by GSK India.
Pfizer JV- GSK Consumer Private Limited: GlaxoSmithKline plc (LSE/NYSE: GSK) made an agreement with Pfizer Inc to combine their consumer health businesses into a new world-leading Joint Venture, with combined sales of approximately £9.8 billion ($12.7 billion), which is a majority owned and controlled by GSK.
Our product portfolio
GSK Consumer Healthcare (Nutrition)
Horlicks (Val. Share MAT44.3%, June 2019)
Boost (Val. Share MAT 11.2%, June 2019)
GSK Consumer Pvt. Ltd
GSK Consumer Asia Pvt. Ltd.
Our Talent: We have about 3800 employees working in offices across Gurgaon, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai and other regions in India
- Focus on talent development & creation of global talent pipeline- About 89 Indian employees from India were selected for global roles
- Value driven people processes- Demonstrate respect for people; Be patient / consumer focused; Operate with transparency; Act with integrity; Diversity of experience and global work culture
Corporate Social Responsibility: With the mission to improve the quality of human life, company’s CSR initiatives under Mission Health focus on enabling people to do more, feel better, and live longer. Several initiatives have been undertaken in the areas of micronutrient deficiency, responsible medicationand improving oral health. Some of these include:
- Our partnership with NGO SHARP covers nearly 1000 schools in UP, MP, Bihar and Karnataka creating awareness on importance of nutrition
- Our association with Akshaya Patra in providing the essential nutrition through mid-day meal to over 50,000 children in 150+ schools
- Our partnership with CII Foundation that educates food based operators on how to prepare, produce and serve Safe Food and
- NGO Sakshi to increase consciousness on the intake of adequate nutrition amongst the children of migrant labourers in Gurgaon.
PULSE- Global Employee Volunteering Programme: PULSE is a unique global programme enables employees to engage with people in their community and share knowledge. Through PULSE, motivated employees are matched to a non-profit organization for three or six months full-time, contributing their skills to solve healthcare challenges at home and abroad.
Driving Access to low cost Nutrition: Started access agenda in 2012 and increased rural footprint to over 28,000 villages. The Village Level Entrepreneur program provides livelihood to under privileged women in small villages, was expanded to reach over 5528 VLES. The channel has added an incremental value of 2 crores in the quarter at 8.7 crore compared to 6.7 crore in the previous quarter. The flagship programme of Horlicks Swasthyan Abhiyaan has expanded reach to over 8000 villages and made inroads into driving engagement with pregnant women visiting PHC centers across East and South states. Boost as a brand is now building connect with school kids through a structured Village School Sports meet in TN and AP, covering over 500 villages.
Recent Awards and Recognitions
- Horlicks Swasthya Abhiyan won Gold under the “Rural - Consumer Engagement Property for the Year” at the Asian Acef Leadership Awards 2019
- Silver for Mother’s Horlicks Matra Swasthya Diwas for the “Impact driving on ground program of the year” at the Asian Acef Leadership Awards 2019
- Crocin Suraksha Ki Dor awarded Bronze under the “Small budget sustainable program of the year” at the Asian Acef Leadership Awards 2019
- Horlicks Emotional Nutrition, a campaign focusing on exam stress faced by students, has won PR Awards Asia under South Asia PR Campaign of the Year category
- Horlicks Emotional Nutrition won Gold at Sabres in Integrated Marketing Category along with Certificate of Excellence in Food and Beverage Category and Superior Achievement in Creativity
- GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare declared as the Winner of ‘Golden Peacock Environment Management Award’ at IOD India's "21st World Congress on Environment Management and Climate Change "
- GSK Consumer Healthcare awarded at the FE CFO Awards 2019 under the large enterprise manufacturing category
- Otrivin ‘Cold and Flu Predictor’ campaign won a silver @ Media Abby Awards(GoaFest) 2019 for 'Innovative Use of Data & Analytics'
- Horlicks Swasthya Abhiyan won Gold at two major awards – WOW Awards Asia and Flame Awards 2018.
- GSKCH’s Horlicks Growth Plus wins the ‘Most Promising Pediatric Health drink’ and Horlicks Protein Plus wins the ‘Best Launch in Adult Health Food Drink’ at the ‘Nutrition and Wellness 2018’ awards.
- ‘Making of Developed India (MODI)’ award for ‘Best use of Mobile in Trade Marketing’ category for PharmaC (Pharmacy Connect)
- Horlicks’ Fearless Kota, a campaign focusing on the exam stress, has won at the 4th edition of the IndIAA Awards (2018), in the ‘FOOD & BEVERAGES’ category
- Horlicks Exam time OBD campaign in Bihar-Jharkhand (2017) won silver IAMAI 8th Digital Awards 2017 for the best use Of Mobile For content marketing campaign
- Horlicks Exam time OBD campaign in Bihar-Jharkhand (2017) won bronze Exchange4Media’s IMA 2017 for the use of branded content
- Horlicks Exam time OBD campaign in Bihar-Jharkhand (2017) won bronze Smarties APAC 2017 for the category Mobile Audio
- GSK Consumer Health Care has received India Star 2017 awards for project Boost restage and Horlicks growth Plus packaging design in consumer category.
- IODEX won three awards at The MMA (Mobile Marketing Association) Smarties Awards, India.
- GSK Consumer Healthcare was awarded the title ‘Mobile Marketer of the Year’ at e4m Mobile Awards - The Maddies 2017.
- Mission Health won best award in category of Food and Nutrition Education Program of the Year at Nutrition and Food Security Awards 2017 by ASSOCHAM (Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India).
- Horlicks won a Gold at DBA Design Effectiveness Awards 2017 for the product design in the beverage category.
- Sensodyne won a Bronze at Big Bang Awards 2017 under the social media category for the Whitening launch Facebook campaign.
2016 and before:
- Won the Golden Peacock Environment Management Award at the 18th World Congress on Environment Management, 2016.
- Iodex Panderpur Yatra won BTL Promotion and Activation/Sampling & Trail
- Ostocalcium Nanhe Champions won Program For Rural Patients and Practitioners
- Eno Dhaba Activation won Best Small Budget Campaign, Best Product Seeding Idea and Best Use of Visibility and Visual Merchandizing
- Boost Race of Champions won New On Ground Property of the year
- Rural campaigns won 6 awards at the 10th Annual Flame Asia Awards
------ Updated September 2019-----